PLN: Diversity and Inclusion

Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash

How diverse is your PLN?

Diversity is often a term paired with the idea of inclusion. However, according to Moore et al. (2020), the two terms differ. 

• Diversity is the condition of having or being composed of differing elements (Merriam-Webster Dictionary, n.d.). 
    • This includes: 
      • Race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, religion, nationality, and socio-economic status
  • Inclusion is whether someone with these characteristics or unique identifying factors feel/ are accepted in a setting such as workplace, school, or broadly speaking, society (Moore et al., 2020).

My Personal Learning Network

With this being said, my Personal Learning Network (PLN) is constantly evolving. Currently, I use social networks to engage with friends and share fun moments in my life. I also use it for professional reasons for the UVic Science in Society Club to advertise club events. Nonetheless, I’d like to expand my PLN so I could be more inclusive in my day-to-day life and foster more meaningful connections. 

UVic Science in Society

This club aims to:

• Improve science communication collaboration and education by promoting community engagement, professional development, and enhancement of soft skills amongst STEM students

Are you learning from a variety of diverse voices and are you expanding your understanding of the views of others? What is a learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

Being open to other people’s viewpoints is something I value within my variety of roles. Whether it is in a classroom environment in relation to my classmates or in a volunteer setting with people I work with. I believe in fostering and creating a supportive and inclusive space. 

Listed below are some of the organization/ groups that I volunteer with. Check them out!

Uvic Women in Science

Obtained from WIS Website

UVic Best Buddies

Obtained from BB Website

UVic Global Community

Obtained from GC Website

Chilliwack Generał Hospital

Obtained from FH Website

One Without the Other: Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion

As Moore and Schnellert (2006) mentioned int the book “One Without the Other: Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion”, inclusivity can be represented as well as misrepresented in many ways.

Key Points

Inclusion is not just about Students with Special Needs– diversity should be celebrated and inclusion should extend to everyone
Inclusion is not Integration– inclusion isn’t about making others conform to a set standard. It’s about recognizing differences and giving people the opportunity to opt-in or opt-out of certain experiences (ie. attending a party)
Inclusion is not a place and time– inclusion is about creating a set goal and constructing a space where people would feel comfortable and supported. 
Inclusion is not a destination– inclusion is a journey and should be something we constantly work on improving.

American Sign Language

Currently, I am taking an introductory American Sign Language (ASL 100A) at UVic, which has shifted and expanded my understanding of Deaf Culture. 

I’ve found it rewarding beyond the simple aspect of being able to communicate in a different language but also because it’s granted me the opportunity to be introduced to a different culture. I want to be a doctor in the future so learning about the deaf community’s opinion on certain medical practices such as cochlear implantation and speech therapy is enlightening and truly rewarding. These perspectives are among the many things I would not acquire from merely reading a textbook. 

Overall, my goal is to continue to learn and diversify my thoughts so I could be a better doctor beyond the medicine, but also through empathetic and compassionate thinking/ listening. As Moore (2021) states, to diversify and create an environment of inclusion, it’s not merely about adding more seats to the table but rather making the table bigger.

Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Diversity. In Merriam-Webster.com dictionary. Retrieved October 9, 2022, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diversity

Miller, J., & Moore, S. (2021). EDCI 338 – 20 Minutes Moore. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeSV0rUl1bA&ab_channel=MILLER

Moore, K. J., Xiong, S., Bhattacharya, M., Bustamante, G., & Calvert, C. (2020). Beyond Diversity: Focusing on and Enhancing Inclusion in the Society for Epidemiologic Research. American Journal of Epidemiology189(10), 1042–1046. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwaa111

Moore, S., & Schnellert, L. (2016). One Without the Other: Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion, Portage & Main Press, Introduction and Part 1. ProQuest Ebook Centralhttps://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=4832579.